Start a new topic

Miro won't start up

Hello, I've been using Miro for a while and can't see how I could do without it.
Today it has stopped working, it will simply not come up no matter what I tried.
I uninstalled it and removed any left program files and reinstalled - many times.
The program files come back, not sure if the install process finishes properly as there is no desktop icon and it doesn't say it's finished.
Try and start it up from programs list or prog files and won't just like before.
I am not really computer literate, I cannot get it to work again.
Any help would be greatly apreciated.
Mike.

4 people have this problem

Me again - I might be able to answer this myself even though I am useless with computers.
I did this, seems to have worked -

1. Uninstall the Miro

2. Delete the folders for Participatory Culture Foundation in C drive if not fully gone.

3. Clear all the files from the "Temp" folder in the "Windows" directory:
- go to My Computer;
- go to C:\ or Local Disk (C:\);
- go to the Windows folder;
- locate the “Temp” folder and open it;
- select all the files and delete them;
- you can close this window now.

4. On your keyboard press the “Windows” key and the “R” key together to launch the “Run” program within the Windows:
- in the field write %temp% and press the “Enter” key on your keyboard;
- a new window will open;
- in the folder select all the files and delete them;
- you can close this window now.

5. Remove cookies: Press the “Windows” key and the “R” key together to launch the “Run” program within the Windows again.
- in the field write %appdata% and press the “Enter” key on your keyboard;
- a new window will open;
- locate the P.C.F. folder delete it.

6. Next step is to clear Temporary Internet files and Cookies:
- open Control Panel;
- select Internet Options;
- on the General tab find Browsing history and click the Delete... button;
- choose only the boxes "Temporary Internet files" and "Cookies";
- click the Delete button.

7. I'll also advise you to clear Certificates:
- on the Content tab find Certificates;
- click Clear SSL state;
- confirm with Ok;
- on the Internet Options window, click the "OK" button to confirm all the changes you have made.

8. Perform Disc cleanup:
- click the Start (Window logo) button;
- select All Programs;
- open Accessories;
- choose System Tools;
- select Disc Cleanup - from the drop-down menu choose drive C: and click “Ok”.

9. Temporarily disable your firewall and antivirus software to ensure complete and correct installation (Very important!). (I also turned of 3 things in Windows defender don't know if I had to, in tools/options - Automatic scan computer off, real time scan off, advanced/scan archive files off) After that download and install Miro as usual.

Experts feel free to add to this or criticise but it worked for me.

Mike

Thank you for your detailed instructions on how to solve this rather annoying problem. After following them I was finally able to download and start Miro. My problem did not require altering the settings in Windows Defender, however, as it was never on to begin with. I really appreciate your help!

Sarah

FYI - A year later and the problem still persists. I had miro installed and working, but today it would only load to the task bar (Windows 7), but would not open. Simple uninstall and reinstall did not work, but Mike's procedure above did. In other words - "miro, if your listening, this is something that still needs to be addressed so it doesn't keep happening to people." This isn't a complaint, just an encouragement to make miro the best it can be - I'm pull'n for ya.

If it helps, this worked for me in Linux.

I was having the same issue on Ubuntu 13.10 x64 when trying to load Miro, but it would just be unresponsive for hours. Someone suggested to run this in a terminal window then to restart Miro and it worked. It no longer freezes for me and everything is super responsive again. I hope it helps someone.

gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/miro

Thanks Mike!

It worked 100%

If anyone I knew was told that I in any way had helped someone with computers, they would rolling around on the floor laughing.

This happened for me 2 years ago when I knew zero about these matters, not much more now to be honest.

I have had similar problems with other software not re-installing like this as well, it's clearly something to do with not all of the software being removed when un-installing therefore preventing a re-install etc.

Regards.

Mike.

Login or Signup to post a comment